1873: San Francisco’s First Streetcars Begin Running
The first cable car line was tested and began running in San Francisco on this day in 1873. It wasn’t until 1881 that a second cable car line was in operation in Dunedin, New Zealand that ran until 1957. Other streetcar lines ran in Melbourne, Australia and Sydney, New South Wales. Today, San Francisco is home to the world’s last manually operated cable car system and one the city’s biggest tourist attractions. (Image: Wikimedia)
- 1922: Stan Lee (comic book publisher)
- 1973: Seth Meyers (TV show host)
- 1978: John Legend (singer)
- 1979: Noomi Rapace (actress)
- 1981: Sienna Miller (actress)
I write about pop culture, arts and entertainment in the greater Seattle area.