1926: NBC is Formed
The radio and television broadcasting network, the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) was formed on this day in 1926. It is the oldest major broadcast network in the U. S and frequently referred as the “Peacock Network” due to its peacock logo, which originally became a symbol of NBC when it started broadcasting in color. The three-note chimes came about at a Georgia Tech football game of all places. Someone from the network heard the three notes asked for permission to use them for NBC. The chimes were heard for the first time in 1931 and became the first audio trademark.
- 1890: Colonel Sanders (founder of KFC)
- 1899: Neil Hamilton (actor)
- 1923: Cliff Robertson (actor)
- 1951: Tom Wopat (actor)
- 1960: Hugh Grant (actor)
- 1966: Adam Sandler (actor)
- 1971: Eric Stonestreet (actor)
- 1971: Henry Thomas (actor)
- 1975: Michael Buble (singer)
- 1980: Michelle Williams (actress)
- 1991: Lauren Daigle (singer)
- 1991: Hunter Hayes (singer)
I write about arts and entertainment in the greater Seattle area.