1968: Johnny Cash Performs at Folsom Prison
Country star Johnny Cash began performing behind prison walls on January 1, 1958 at San Quentin State Prison but it was on this day in 1968 where he recorded his live album, Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. The album reached the number one spot on Billboard county album music and then it also rose to the top of the Billboard pop album chart. Cash returned to San Quentin to record another chart-topping album the next year.
It was quiet morning for residents and tourists in Hawaii on this day in 2018 until 8:07 a.m. when the Emergency Alert System warned people through TV, radio and cellphones that there was an incoming ballistic missile threat. Everyone was instructed to find shelter immediately with the phrase “This is not a drill.” It took 38 minutes to pass before State officials to announce that a miscommunication had occurred at the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency which led to the governor to publicy apologize for the error and for the prompt resignation of the state’s emergency management administrator.
1910: Public Radio is Born
It was on this day in 1910 when Lee de Forest transmitted the world’s first public broadcast in New York City and it was the beginning of universal radio communication. The presentation featured the Metropolitan Opera and member of the press, along with various member of the public, were able to listen in using earphones that were provided at different locations throughout the city.
- As Luck Would Have It (2012)
- Glory Road (2006)
- Hoodwinked (2006)
- Joyful Noise (2012)
- Legends of the Fall (1995)
- The Boy Next Door (2015)
- The Iron Lady (2012)
TV Series Debuts
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (2017)
- Chopped (2007)
- Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer (2021)
- Peacemaker (2022)
- Schitt’s Creek (2015)
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008)
- Wolf Like Me (2022)
- 1931: Charles Nelson Reilly (actor)
- 1935: Rip Taylor (actor)
- 1949: Brandon Tartikoff (TV producer)
- 1961: Frank Peretti (author)
- 1961: Julia Louis-Dreyfus (actress)
- 1962: Trace Adkins (singer)
- 1966: Patrick Dempsey (actor)
- 1970: Shonda Rhimes (TV producer)
- 1977: Orlando Bloom (actor)
- 1982: Ruth Wilson (actress)
- 1990: Liam Hemsworth (actor)
I write about pop culture, arts and entertainment in the greater Seattle area.