Skip to content

The Best and Worst Halloween Candy 2021

Best and Worst Halloween Candy

What is the most popular American-made candy for 2021? What will more households be handing out Halloween night this year? It depends on who you ask.

Earlier this year, the National Confectioners Association polled 1,500 adults (the people handing out the treats, not those receiving them) to understand their candy-eating habits as well as their preferences. Of those polled, 57% of them admitted to eating candy at least once a week. (I suspect that the other 43% are lying.)

It should surprise exactly no one that 60% of those polled said that chocolate was their number one choice followed by gummy candies as their second choice and the good old fashioned candy corn came in third. (Incidentally, when it comes to the corn of candy, 52% of people polled say that they enjoy eating each piece of candy corn all at once, while 31% say that they start chewing at the narrow end and 17% start a the wider end.)

TOP Data also did some polling this year and found that M&M’s was America’s favorite, although that hardly seems fair since the brand offers many different varieties of the candy (plain, peanut, caramel, almond, etc.) and other candies only offer one variety. Be that as it may, their results showed that M&M’s was the favorite choice of 20 states. Skittles came in second as the favorite of 17 states. Next in line was Kit Kat (5 states), Reese’s (3 states), Snickers (2 states) and Starburst (Nevada). However, all six of those choices were listed as the top candy choices (but in different order) in most of the states. There were a few exceptions of course. People in Colorado enjoy a few Twizzlers now and then. Connecticut and Delaware are fans of Jolly Ranchers. Florida, Georgia and Michigan enjoy some Sour Patch Kids. “America’s favorite chocolate bar” (Hershey’s) is still popular enough to make the top 5 in Maryland, Massachusetts and Montana and Twix is worth a mention in Mississippi, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Most popular candies per state. (TOP Data)

But it is’s findings that throws a wrench into the above results. As they do every year, they take the findings from a dozen publications who do their own polling (like BuzzFeed, Business Insider, Huffington Post, etc.) and then add in their findings from the polls given to 17,000 of their own customers to come up with the ultimate “Best” and “Worst” Halloween candies. Here is what they found out this year:

Best Halloween Candy

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
  1. Reese’s
  2. M&M’s
  3. Skittles
  4. Snickers
  5. Sour Patch Kids
  6. Kit Kat
  7. Twix
  8. Hershey’s
  9. Butterfinger
  10. Nerds

Best Halloween Candy

  1. Candy Corn
  2. Circus Peanuts
  3. Peanut Butter Kisses
  4. Smarties
  5. Necco Wafers
  6. Wax Coke Bottles
  7. Mary Janes
  8. Tootsie Rolls
  9. Good & Plenty
  10. Black Licorice

Jeffrey Totey View All

I write about pop culture, arts and entertainment in the greater Seattle area.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: