1924: The First Crossword Puzzle Book is Published
Although crossword puzzles had arrived a few years earlier in 1913 in the pages of the New York World, it wasn’t until this day in 1924 when Simon & Schuster published the first book of the addicting craze. The story is that Richard Simon’s aunt asked him if there were any books about the puzzles that she could give to a friend. When he discovered that there wasn’t, he and M. Lincoln Schuster printed the first one. The very first book came with a pencil and to this day, Simon & Schuster are still the company to beat in the publishing world of crossword puzzle books.
1923: Yankee Stadium aka “The House that Ruth Built” Opened
- 1946: Hayley Mills (actress)
- 1947: Dorothy Lyman (actress)
- 1953: Rick Moranis (actor)
- 1956: Eric Roberts (actor)
- 1961: Jane Leeves (actress)
- 1962: Jeff Dunham (ventriloquist)
- 1963: Eric McCormack (actor)
- 1972: Eli Roth (film director)
- 1976: Melissa Joan Hart (actress)
I write about arts and entertainment in the greater Seattle area.