1678: ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’ is Published
On this day in 1678, the second most popular book on many Christian’s bookshelves, Pilgrim’s Progress was published. It was written by John Bunyan (not the guy with the big blue ox) while his enjoying his stay in prison for preaching without a license. The story, which has never been out of print, features a man named Christian who searches for truth and relief from the burden of sin strapped to his back. Along his journey, he meets a variety of people with their own issues and unique locations including the Doubting Castle, the Valley of the Shadow and Vanity Fair.
- 1933: Yoko Ono (singer)
- 1950: John Hughes (film director)
- 1950: Cybill Shepherd (actress)
- 1952: Juice Newton (singer)
- 1954: John Travolta (actor)
- 1957: Vanna White (game show host)
- 1964: Matt Dillon (actor)
- 1965: Dr. Dre (rapper)
- 1968: Molly Ringwald (actress)
- 1974: Jillian Michaels (fitness trainer)
I write about pop culture, arts and entertainment in the greater Seattle area.